This is a 2-part assignment. You will come up with 21 ideas for the Biodesign Challenge, and you will respond to at least 5 other students on the class forum.
In this assignment you will come up with 21 ideas for your final project. You will think of 7 project ideas for each of the Biodesign themes we discussed in class so far (3 themes, total of 21). That’s right, I said 21, and these are due by the beginning of class on Monday (March 12)! You can do it!!
The Biodesign themes we’ve discussed so far include:
-mycelium and sustainable biofabrication
-biometrics (e.g. pulse sensing)
You have to come up with 7 ideas for each theme. Other than that, they can be anything. Do not worry about what’s realistic or possible. Just go for breadth! Write or sketch/draw each idea on a separate post-it note. Each note can be just a few words, but be specific. For example:
- a pulse-sensing bracelet
- a plant that digests plastic
- a biosensor that responds to toxins in food
Do not get stuck on one specific idea (do not submit 25 ideas that all sound like this):
- antibiotic sensor for food
- antibiotic sensor for water
- antibiotic sensor for milk
Lay out your 21 post-its on a table, take a picture and upload it to the class blog under the “brainstorming” category. Bring all of your post-its to class on Monday!
This assignment is worth 4 points
3 points for posting a picture of your ideas on the class blog
1 point for brining all your post-its to class
Respond to 5 students’ posts on the class forum. Your responses are meant to connect you with other students in the class in hopes of forming a potential group for the biodesign challenge final project. The final teams will form or be assigned by Wednesday March 14, so use your time now to find team-mates!
Potential forum response ideas:
- Share your skills/academic background with a student who has complimentary skills to yours
- Suggest a project idea that might fit another students’ skills
- Ask a question about another students’ work style or academic background
- Throw out a few project ideas you’re interested in working on
- As a clarifying question about another students’ idea
- Share a link to a related Biodesign project that might be of interest to a student based on their forum post
This assignment is worth 5 points
1 point for each forum response. This is a great way to make up points if you missed an assignment or have missed classes.